Free School Meals
Infant School Meals from September 2014
From September 2014, there will be a statutory requirement for schools in England to provide school meals to all pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2. We are referring to these as the Infant School Meals as they are different to free school meals. Please note that although children will receive the Infant School Meal, you are still required to pay for milk.
Whilst all pupils in these year groups will be provided with a daily infant school meal, it is important that, if you think you are eligible to receive a free school meal, you continue to apply to Leicester City Local Authority.
This is especially important as the extra funding we receive, called Pupil Premium, is dictated by the number of Free School Meal registrations we have! This money is important to us to protect the extra teachers and interventions we give your children which mean they benefit from improved provision in our academy!
Existing entitlements to free school meals for disadvantaged pupils in nursery classes and at Key Stages 2-4 will continue as they do now, based on the existing free school meals eligibility criteria as set out in the information from Leicester City LA below.
The council administers and authorises free school meals for eligible pupils in all city schools.
Who is eligible for Free School Meals?
Pupils can have free school meals if their parent(s), guardian(s) or carer(s) are in receipt of:-
- Income Support (IS), or
- Income-based Job Seekers Allowance (IBJSA), or
- Income -related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), or
- National Asylum Seeker Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999, or
- Child Tax Credits, with a gross family income that DOES NOT exceed £16,190 (Please note that if you receive Working Tax Credit you will not be entitled to free school meals), or
- A Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
How to Apply for Free School Meals
- Apply online - Complete an application using our online form.
- By telephone - call us on 0116 454 1009. Make sure you have your National Insurance number to hand.
- By post - download and print the paper application form on the bottom of this page and post it to:
Free School Meals Service
Leicester City Council
4th Floor, York House
91 Granby Street
You can also pick up an application form from your child's school, or from any of Leicester City Council's Customer Service Centres
You do not need to renew your application each year. Once we issue a free school meal voucher, it remains valid until your child leaves school, unless your circumstances change and you no longer meet the qualifying criteria.
For information and advice from the Free School Meals Service telephone us on 0116 454 1009 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org